Pages

Thursday, April 23, 2015

#TVD episode 19 recap - "Because"

"Because"

TO TELL HER OR NOT TO TELL HER – Wrestling with whether or not to tell Elena (Nina Dobrev) about the cure, Damon (Ian Somerhalder) brings up their future together and what life would be like if they weren’t vampires. Meanwhile, it’s all hands on deck when attempts to stop a humanity-free Caroline (Candice Accola) don’t go as planned. Elsewhere, when Bonnie (Kat Graham) discovers that Damon has betrayed her trust, she takes matters into her own hands, setting off a chain of events that leaves Damon dealing with the fallout. Lastly, after being forced to face his traumatic past, Enzo (Michael Malarkey) sets out for answers and is surprised when he learns the truth about the day he was turned into a vampire. Paul Wesley, Zach Roerig, and Matt Davis also star. Geoff Shotz directed the episode written by Melinda Hsu Taylor (#619). Original airdate 4/23/2015.


Image credit: The CW

Ep 19 recap:

Stefan with Caroline. He found her in a bar. Brought her to a B and B.

He'll convince her his humanity is still off. Then he'll torture her until she breaks.

He calls for some towels sent up to the room.

Elena asks why Caroline will want to see him. Wait...did you and Caroline....? Damon says Yep. Stefan says drop it. He'll drain Caroline, then bombard her with all the feelings and memories of her life.

He makes drinks. There's a knock. But it's Damon. He shoots her. Then puts Stefan out, too.

3 days later. Stefan and Caroline wake up in a blood soaked bed. What happened? We got caught.

Damon with Bonnie. He brought her coffee. She brings up the Cure again. Damon tells Bonnie that he gave his mother the Ascendant. you what? Damon says it doesn't matter because she still needs you to do the spell. Bonnie says fix this before it becomes my problem. Don't ever show up pretending you care again!

Jo made an appointment at a bakery. She lures Ric in with it being next to a tequila bar. Elena shows up to relieve them at the B and B. She tells Ric it's really nice to see you happy. Caroline's awake.

Bars on the windows. The room is vampire-proof. She asks Stefan why are you so calm? Help me. Stefan says they're drying us out. She says I know how dessication works, Stefan. She drinks vodka. He says that'll dry you out like salt water does to a human. Elena looks in. Caroline says we find it a little ironic you think you're qualified to preach on grieving a loved one. Elena says she came to give Caroline a letter from her mother. Caroline recognizes her mother's handwriting. She tells Stefan to burn it. He says maybe I should read it. She lights a match. Elena says don't! Stefan holds it up the flame. Sorry, Elena, but if you want us back, you're going to have to try a lot harder than that.

*How horrible! The one memento Caroline could have.... Stefan's really showing how committed he is to making Caroline believe he's without humanity.

Matt back at work. He calls Bonnie. Bonnie says stall her until I find what I need. Enzo shows up at the restaurant. Matt says I can't have any trouble in here. Lily remembers him from the house. And then Lorenzo, it's you. She asks him to join her for a drink.

Elena tells Damon that Caroline burned the letter. At least Jo and Ric can cross this place off their honeymoon list. He asks her about her human fantasy. In 5 years where are you? She says we're in Tribeca. You're in a bar, owning a bar. I'm in the surgical residency program. Kids? Yeah. 2. So they can keep themselves company while we're distracted. She kisses him. Asks where he is in 5 years. Caroline complaining.

She says I want to die. Stefan says they'll make a mistake eventually and then we'll pounce. She says what I wouldn't give for a drop of blood. She comes over and kisses him. Damon looks in. Brought some light reading from the true crime division. He tosses police files in the room with photos. Talks about how Liz would've felt about all this. Caroline says you're right, I should be like you and Elena and pretend about the things I can't have. How does it feel that you can't give her the life she really wants? Your vampire life is just settling and it's so....sad... Elena says I can't listen to this anymore.

Lily trying to order food. Her first time in a restaurant. She tells Enzo I was in prison for the past 100 years. He says you left me on a ship. She says the night I turned you, my friends and I were captured by the Gemini Coven. You thought I abandoned you. I'd never do that, Lorenzo. She asks him not to mention headless corpses again. He says it's something for you and Stefan to bond over. Or not. She says that was a different time. I cared for my friends all those years. Loyalty is never a burden. She says Bonnie Bennett seems to have stood me up. She's offered to help me get my friends out.

Matt puts his shirt on after changing his bandage. Ow. He calls Bonnie and says Lily is gone. Enzo and Lily come back to the house. Bonnie finds the Ascendant.

Lily finds the Ascendant is gone. She says the people in that prison world are the only thing that keep me from being a monster again. He says your real family is right here. She tells him to get out. He says relax. She orders him to get out. Mama Salvatore is pissed....

Elena tells Damon that Caroline isn't work. I'm not settling. He says admit what you really want, Elena. She says you want me to admit I'm not 100% okay with eternity? Fine, but it means I get to be with you. Why isn't that enough for you?

Lily calls Damon. Where is the Ascendant? he says I don't have it. She says find it, or I can destroy something of great significance to you. Bring me the Ascendant, or I'll crush the Cure with my own hand.

Caroline complaining again. It's so hot in here. She takes her sweater off. Recommends he undress, too. He's not interested. She says your heart is racing. Am I making you nervous? When did you flip it back? Damon and Elena knew because you told them. How dumb do you think I am? What's wrong....don't want to take advantage of me? Ruin our non-existent relationship? He says please stop. She says relax, I don't feel like kissing anymore, and breaks his neck. Then she starts kicking the door. And breaks it down on the 3rd try. Oh hell....

*Guys! You need at least one person guarding the door at all times! Duh!

Bonnie doing a spell on the Ascendant. Damon comes in. Give me the damn Ascendant and I promise Kai will never get out. She says this isn't about him! He says my mother has the Cure, Bonnie. She's going to destroy it. Bonnie says if I hand this over, I could end up dead again! If you really wanted Elena to leave you, you'd have given her the Cure by now! I know you, Damon. You're more scared now than I've ever seen you before. You're scared what happens if you give it to her. She hands him the Ascendant. If you want Elena to grow old and die, then take it. He turns and walks out without it.

Caroline in a car. Cop flashes lights behind her. It's Liz???? Caroline gets out of the car. Liz arrests her. Caroline says you can't be real. I know what you're doing to me, Stefan! This isn't real! Stefan put visions in her head He says let the pain in, it's okay. She says get away from me. He says I can help you if you let me. Take my hand. Please, Caroline. She does, then stakes him. I don't want your help, Stefan. I just want you to die!

*Why do people keep underestimating Caroline? She's too desperate to avoid the pain. She'll do anything to avoid it.

Your heart's racing again, Stefan. let me fix that. Another vision. Stefan asks for a needle and thread. Liz gives it to him. He says you should've seen the look on her face when that bear fell apart. Liz says I hope you can be more than friend some day. He says I want it to be perfect if I ever move things along. He offers to mail the letter. She says I'm still working on it.

Caroline wants to see the rest. Let me see her. Stefan shows her the rest of the memory. Caroline begs to talk to her. Please, com back! Make her come back! He says I can't. I already gave you the letter. Caroline goes to the ashes. What do you think she wanted to tell me? He says whatever it is it's gone. She weeps and collapses. Oh my God, I'm so sorry, Stefan, I ruined everything, I ruined everything....

Damon comes home. Says I don't have the Ascendant. Lily says then you know what happens now. She puts the box in the fire. You know I did you a favor. Elena will never leave you. You feel relieved now.

Elena finds a ring box surrounded by candles and rose petals. She opens it.

Lily says although wait, you want Elena to be yours forever and that wouldn't be a punishment at all. Elena comes in. Is this...? Lily says The cure for vampirism, yes. I left it for you to find, since Damon was never going to tell you. Elena asks if that's true? He says I can explain. Lily says looks like you two have a lot to talk about.

Stefan feeds on blood bags. Ric asks how Caroline is. Stefan's going home for a shower and a stiff drink. She doesn't want to see me. Jo says maybe you should let Caroline decide what she needs.

Caroline looks at the crime files. Then at the burned letter. Touches the ashes. Stefan comes back in. You okay? She says how can I be okay after everything I ruined. Don't worry, I'm not going to turn it off again. But you, us, this....I just really need to get out of here. She leaves.

Enzo in his car. Stops. Meets Lily. He says in 1903, I was sick, and you rescued me from death. Loyalty is important to me, too. She says they make cars so quiet now. I almost caused an accident. The driver's heart was beating like a drum and I forgot my troubles for a moment. She's covered in blood. I fear it got the best of me. The driver is dead with no head. She says what have I done? What have I done? Enzo takes her in his arms. She weeps.

Elena holding the Cure. So that 5 years from now game? He says not so subtle, was it? She gets it. If I take this, everything changes. Never thought I'd see it again. Damon says my mother threatened to destroy it and I didn't stop her. I panicked. I want you to have that dream! And I'm an idiot and selfish and I'm so in love with you, I don't want to lose you! Elena says we'll give it to someone else. Damon says you're going to take the cure, and I'm going to take it with you. I'll become human, too. Wow.....

Next ep - Elena takes the cure? Damon and Elena on the clock tower. They jump. You only live once.

No comments:

Post a Comment