Pages

Tuesday, January 21, 2020

#Arrow 8.9 - "Green Arrow & The Canaries" live blog #arrowfinalseason #arrowverse #arrowspinoff

"Green Arrow & The Canaries"

STAR CITY 2040 - It's the year 2040 in Star City and Mia Queen (Katherine McNamara) has everything she could have ever wanted. However, when Laurel (Katie Cassidy) and Dinah (Juliana Harkavy) suddenly show up in her life again, things take a shocking turn and her perfect world is upended. Laurel and Dinah are tracking a kidnapping victim with direct ties to Mia and they need her help. Knowing it will change everything, Mia can't help but be a hero and she, Laurel and Dinah suit up once again to save the city. Tara Miele directed the episode written by Beth Schwartz & Marc Guggenheim & Jill Blankenship & Oscar Balderrama (#809). Original airdate 1/21/2020.

Episode 9:

Backdoor pilot for the spin-off.

Person on a motorcycle. Sounds electric.

Dancers in a club.

Motorcycle stops at the club. Laurel is looking for someone. Bianca Bertinelli. But she's kidnapped by two men while Laurel struggles to get through the crowd. Laurel gets back outside and they're gone. 2040 Star City.

Queen Mansion. Mia wakes. Goes to the desk and pulls up the news. Mayor Ramirez is in his 3rd term. Mia's man wakes. It's JJ Diggle. She got up early to finish writing her speech. He gives her a Tiffany box as a graduation present. He's proposing! Will you marry me? Please say yes. She does. I love you. They kiss.

Laurel enters a restaurant. Looking for the owner. Dinah is singing at a piano. She finishes the song. They go to Dinah's place. It's right above the bar. Clock tower apartment. Sara found Dinah here and Dinah didn't want to come back. She woke up here after Oliver's funeral. There's no trace of Dinah Drake or the Black Canary. She embraced the freedom of making a new life. Laurel says your zen is freaking me out. Dinah says there's been no real crime in 20 years. Helena's daughter Bianca has been abducted. Star City 2041 is in riots. Bianca dies. 3 days from now, her body is found in the bay and her body is never caught. Do it for Oliver. Dinah agrees. For Oliver. Laurel says we need one more person. I'll inform you on the way.

Mia arrives. She's a socialite paparazzi target. She tells the press she thinks her dad would be pretty impressed. William finds her and they hug. Zoe hugs her, too. William broke up with a boyfriend. He tells her there's an office for her at Smoak Tech. She wants to enjoy tonight before adulting.

She thanks everyone for coming. Thanks JJ for always having her back. You are my life. And William. To the class of 2040. Connor arrives. She thought he was still in rehab. JJ wants them to get along for one night. Please. Mia looks for Bianca. Laurel and Dinah ask Trev about Bianca. Mia says you can't crash my party and harass my guests. They tell Mia that her friend Bianca is in trouble. Laurel gives Mia her memories of the life before. Mia passes out.

**It's a shame Connor didn't get through his rough patch in this future.

JJ helps Mia up and she tells him to back off. She's seeing all the faces with new old memories. Everyone staring. She says I guess I had too much to drink without eating. Won't let JJ touch her.

She goes with Dinah and Laurel. Cisco replicated The Martian's powers with tech to restore memories. Mia says she remembers everything. Why would you do this to me? Laurel says Bianca was kidnapped. How are you hesitating? Aren't you supposed to be the Green Arrow? Laurel throws a glass at her and Mia catches it. Like riding a bike. Mia says she'll help as a one time thing. I have a life now, I'm happy, and I want to keep it that way. Dinah was married at 21. Laurel says seriously, who are you? LOL. They wonder why Bianca was kidnapped. Time to visit the family.

Mia tells them Bianca is in trouble. Dinah and Laurel in position. Mia keeps insisting Bianca is in trouble. The family doesn't buy it. Mia says wouldn't it be better to be safe than sorry? She spills wine. Dinah can keep searching. The Bertinellis insist Bianca is fine.

Eyes and ears placed. Mia wants to talk to Bianca's friends next. I'll meet you at the bar.

Laurel and Dinah in Dinah's apartment. Laurel likes the view. I can see why you hide out here. Dinah says the world doesn't remember who I am. Laurel says don't you? Dinah thinks this is the universe's way of telling me I'm not supposed to be a hero. Everyone's better off in this future. Laurel says Zoe died because she was a hero because you inspired her. Myself included. Mia arrives. Bianca's friends didn't know anything. Alert. Logan Bertinelli is Bianca's cousin. Laurel says let's suit up. Mia doesn't want to wear the Arrow suit.

They ride on cycles. Catch up to SUVs. The SUVs swerve at them. They disable it. Dinah and Laurel take on Logan and his friends. Tell Mia to get Bianca. She's attacked behind the SUV. Fights and knocks him out. Briefcases inside. There's some kind of drug. Bomb. Run! Deathstroke!

**So, is it Connor instead of JJ now?

**I wish we had some revisit to Slade and his son. That's still an open question.

Return to the apartment. Mia says I could've died. Laurel thinks it's JJ. Mia says no way. It could've been anyone under that mask. Laurel keeps pushing.

Mia and ladies at an event. JJ's office is in the back. Dinah asks Mia if she's okay. Mia says it's strange to have both lives of memories. I don't want it to be him. Mia goes to JJ. Laurel keeps pushing. I dated your dad. My Oliver also went down on the Gambit and cheated with my sister. People are who they are and it's not your fault. Laurel can't get in the back. Mia can walk past security.

Put the device near the computer. It's working. Search for the Bertinellis. Mia says something's wrong. JJ and security enter. She says you have Bianca. He's shocked. You're being crazy. She tells him to show her what's on the files. He does. Our honeymoon. You always wanted to visit Fiji. I hoped I could surprise you. Can I call you crazy now? He holds up a phone with a Bianca video saying Namaste.

Laurel says that video is convenient. Dinah agrees we should analyze the video. Laurel keeps pushing Mia. You're being selfish. Mia says Star City is fine and doesn't need you to be the Black Canary anymore. Dinah keeps trying to be peacemaker. Mia says you had no right making me remember. All it does is remind me of the suffering and the loss. That's all being a hero is.

Mia and JJ talking at the mansion. He insists on his innocence. He says you've never had to commit to anything in your life. You don't want to marry me! How come ever since I proposed to you, you're seeing someone else when you look at me? He sees the rest of his life when he looks at her. But he can't marry someone that doesn't see the same. We need to take some space. He leaves.

Dinah and Laurel in her place. You're not telling me everything. You're pushing Mia really hard. This is personal. Laurel doesn't want Mia making her mistakes. Dinah says empathy is sharing your own feelings. Mia put on that Green Arrow suit the day Oliver died. Dinah gets a lead in the video. She agrees the Green Arrow should be here if there's evil in Star City.

Laurel comes to Mia. Are you crying? I'm sorry. Mia says JJ broke up with me. Laurel says you're strong enough to get through anything. I've seen you do it. I spent so much of my life choosing the easy path. It's not a good look. Can you tell me you were happy with your life before I woke you up? Mia spent her life wondering how she could live up to her father's legacy with anything she did. So I chose to do nothing. He'd be disappointed in me. Laurel says your father wanted you to be happy. But he also wanted you to have a choice. Being a hero kinda sucks. It's he hardest thing you'll do. It gave me a purpose. I woke you so you could choose. This is your city and you're the Green Arrow.

Laurel brings Mia back. Mia recognizes the building. Let's go save my friend. She suits up.

**So, do you like the new Mia? It's definitely nice to not have her so reckless and petulant. This Mia at least acts her age. I think we can agree they had to fix her character to be able to sell a spin-off with her as a lead.

**20 years of safety in Star City. What was the catalyst?

Heroes at the building. Meta dampeners. They bust in the rescue Bianca. Trevor leads the bad guys. He's the Deathstroke. He says Bianca is a pawn. The ladies against many minions. They'll take the odds. Trevor walks away. They fight off enough to start escaping with Bianca. Out on the roof. Now what? Trevor asks how are you still alive? All the greenery is linked to the same system. All very explosive. He drops the lighter and it goes up. You can't stop what's coming. She won't let you. Who the hell is she? He tosses the lighter. Mia says we have to jump. They run. And repel from the building as it explodes. Bianca wonders who are you bitches?

**Hmm, so there's a female mastermind of the city going to crap in the next year? Will we recognize this person?

**Who or what transported Dinah to 2040 and why? Who has time travel besides The Time Bureau and the Waverider?

Bianca's back to her life. Laurel thanks Mia and Dinah. Dinah wants to go part time. Somebody pushed Trevor. Mia says his tattoo looked familiar. We start there. She's not giving up her life but the city needs the Green Arrow. It's the right thing. Putting on that suit again wasn't easy, but it's not all bad. There are some really good parts, too. Dinah says we have a celebratory drink.

Mia comes to JJ. Apologizes. I have been acting weird since the graduation party. It has nothing to do with you proposing. I'm trying to figure out what I want to do with the rest of my life. What kind of person I want to be. He wants to help with that. She says you're a good person. I can't imagine spending my life with anyone else. They kiss.

Laurel isn't leaving until the city is safe again. Dinah wants to help a new generation of women while she figures out why she's here. Laurel says Sara said when the city falls, Mia is at the center of it. The woman who failed Star City.

William and Mia at Oliver's statue. Press wants to know if William is the Green Arrow. She says you brought the pet rock. He has the hosin. Show some respect, please. She asks to see it. Yes you may. The tattoo! They are darted. Mia is grabbed and dragged away. She passes out in front of the Green Arrow statue.

JJ is attacked at home. I need you to remember. He sees his old life.

New Arrow logo with birds.

Next ep - Watch how it all ends.

No comments:

Post a Comment