Pages

Wednesday, April 22, 2015

#Supernatural episode 19 recap - "The Werther Project"

"The Werther Project"

CAN DEAN SAVE SAM? — Sam (Jared Padalecki) learns that former Men of Letters, Magnus, once built a magical box and Sam sets out to find it in the hopes it can cure Dean (Jensen Ackles) of the Mark of Cain. However, what he’s not prepared for is the deadly alarm system Magnus set up on the box. When Sam opens the box, he puts both his and Dean’s lives in danger. Stefan Pleszczynski directed this episode written by Robert Berens (#1019). Original airdate 4/22/2015.



Image credit: The CW

Ep 19 recap:

St. Louis, Missouri. The 1970s. A teen girl and boy. Parents. It's standard domesticity. The girl goes down in the basement to do laundry. She picks up a sledge hammer and beats through a wall. To find a hidden vault. There's a safe with a witch symbol on it. She pulls it open. Yellow-green smoke comes out of it and escapes upstairs.

The girl wakes on the floor. The house is quiet. Pan is burning on the stove. She looks for her parents. Finds her father dead. Her brother hung. She clings to her mother, who then slits her own throat after saying everything's going to be okay.

Rowena tells Sam there's only one thing you can do for me. Kill my son. He's expecting it from me. Sam says I'll kill Crowley. First, can you read the book? She says of course. But not in its present form. You're desperate. Can stop pretending you're not. Sam gets a text. Rowena says Nadia, Grand Coven Witch can read it. She was murdered long ago, but bring me Nadia's Codex and I'll break this text right open and give you your cure. Start at home. Who do you think murdered Nadia in the first place?

Dean hunted. Washes his hands. Sam comes and asks what is this? Dean says 6 vamps solo. I think that's a personal best. Sam says come on, you couldn't have waited? Dean says I handled it. It's the only way to take the edge off. Can we talk about this later? I want to clean up and get my buzz on and pass out. We cool?

When Dean's asleep, Sam researches. Finds a film reel. Audio recording. 1956 minutes.

Flashback. The Werther Box. 98% lethal. 2 Men of Letters died from this box. The man says he already apologized and refuses to do it again. Why are you so small-minded? We were brought here to do great things, take risks, bring the fight to the monsters of the world. you're not men, you're librarians. Nothing more. The leader says tell us how to shut the Box down. It's still a danger. Man isn't interested. I built it like I did because you are cowards. There's only one way to shut it down. Martinez was on the right track. Leader says bury the box where it stands.

Sam pulls another book. Writes down an address in St. Louis.

Rowena wakes to a phone call. I'm over 300 years old. Beauty sleep isn't optional. LOL. Sam says I need a spell to break a spell. She says it's not recommended for amateurs. I could come. You might need me. Sam says I'll take my chances, thanks.

He goes to the white house. Prepares to pick the lock. A woman sticks a gun out the mail slot. He apologizes. She tells him to get back or get his bits blown off. He gets back in the car. Dean gets in the passenger side. Hiya, Sammy. How's the case? BUSTED!!!

Sam asks what are you doing here? Dean says here to save your sack. You were right, I shouldn't have gone off alone. It was stupid. And selfish. Sam asks how you found me? Dean took an etching off the notepad. St. Louis suicide house. The house is still under the daughter's name. But this house doesn't seem to be in our wheelhouse. Sam says this used to be a MoL chapter house. Magnus built a Werther Box and it's buried in that house. We need to defuse the time bomb. It's our legacy.

Dean knocks. She opens the door with a gun drawn. Dean says he's with neighborhood watch. If you could describe the guy...can I have a minute of your time? She lets him in. He says, you live alone? Suzy says just me and Gus. Her pistol. The kettle whistles. Sam hides. The basement is padlocked. Dean keeps trying to chat up Suzy. Sam sneaks into the basement. Suzy says I've been alone here since...1980? My aunt moved in and raised me after my parents died. Dean asks what happened to your aunt? Suzy says I told her not to go in the basement. No one goes in the basement.

Sam finds the box.

Dean asks what's in the basement, Suzy? Ma'am, you okay?

Sam works on the spell.

Suzy pulls her pistol on Dean. 2 visitors in one hour? One breaking in, one asking questions? you came for the box!

Sam does the spell.

Suzy knew someone would come for that Box. He's downstairs, isn't he? Dean says he's my brother and we're here to help you. Suzy says call him up here now!

Sam finishes the spell and opens the box. Suzy screams at Dean to get out now! You let it out! The smoke zaps Dean. Sam runs in. Suzy sees her brother. She shoots. And again. Runs into the kitchen. Sees her mother. Runs into another room. Sees her father. You did this to us. You let it out. We died while you slept.

Dean sees Purgatory.

Sam tries to get to Suzy. Let me in, I can help you! Kick the door down, Sam!

Dean in Purgatory. Sam?

Sam hears a gunshot. Finds Suzy dead.

Dean sees something run by.

Dead Suzy confronts Sam. Yells at him. Look at me! She points at her body. The first casualty of your misguided mission. How's that search going? Any closer to a cure. Sam says you're not real. She says you're the reckless one. You'll do anything to cling to that brother of yours. End this farce, Sammy! Rowena shows up and gets rid of Suzy. Told ya you need me. Ha!

Sam asks how did you find me? She says magic. He says you can't be here. If Dean sees you... Sam goes to find Dean.

Dean's wandering in Purgatory. Gets attacked. Benny beheads it. Sam tries snapping him out of it. Rowena says it's real enough to him. Sam asks if you can wake him up? She says I only brought enough ingredients for one. Didn't know you'd have company. Sam says Werther's enchantment tries to drive people to suicide. Can't leave Dean alone like this. She says we need to tie him up, then.

Dean tells Benny he's not real. You're just a figment of my imagination. Benny says I've gotten you out before. How about trusting me again?

Sam and Rowena in the basement. She admires Magnus' spell. Illuminates the letters.

Dean tells Benny I need to get out of here! Benny says no matter where you turn, you keep ending up here. Why this figment? Why this place? This is your happy place and you don't really want to leave.

Rowena reads the Latin. It's needs the Blood of Our Own to stop the enchantment. Sam says Legacy blood. My blood. Oh.

Benny says listen. This place, you don't have to look for a fight. Be still and the fight will come to you. That's the purity you crave. Killing without consequence. Dean says I'm tired of fighting. Benny says The Mark ain't. But there's a third way out. You can't say you haven't been thinking about it. Dean says that ain't going to happen, ever. Benny says you'll wait for the Mark to reclaim you? Kill Cas, your brother, a few humans? you think Sam and Cas will put you down? Say they do. Will they ever recover from that? It will ruin them. This little back-up plan is gnawing at you. you can't leave that job to them. Dean says you're right. Benny says make the choice in here and you'll sleep forever. Can't hurt anyone anymore. No one needs to know, Dean. What happens in Purgatory, stays in Purgatory.

Dean breaks a bottle to have something sharp.

*Ah, Dean, and his continual death wish. Part of him has been suicidal for so many years.

Sam gets a knife and cuts his arm. Bleeds into the vessel. Gears move in the box. It's working.

Dean says I always did love it here. It's as good a place as any to call it a day.

Rowena tells Sam to slow down. But the Box wants more. It wants it all. Sam says it wants more, it'll get more. He cuts his arm again.

Dean says I'd do it if I really had to, but the real Benny would never let me. Know what else won't let me? this thing on my arm. The Mark wants me alive. He kills Benny. Thanks, pal. But no thanks. Benny disappears. Dean wakes from the spell.

Rowena says it's nearly there. Dean comes into the basement. He tells Sam it's a trick. Sam says it needs Legacy blood! Dean says it can have mine. He bleeds into the vessel, too. The Box door opens. Rowena disappears. Dean takes the Codex out of the Box. Shuts the door.

Sam in the car. Dean beat up the box. Asks if Sam is okay? He says he'll be fine. Dean apologizes for yesterday. Sam says I think this makes us even. Dean says we're stronger together than apart. So what's so valuable that it takes a spell that nasty to protect it? Sam lies and says no idea. But we'll keep it safe.

Sam brings it to Rowena. Is it enough to translate the book? She says yes. So he chains her. Insurance. She says we had an agreement! Sam says it stands. you will find a cure for my brother and that's all you'll get from the book. Then I'll kill Crowley. You want out? Hurry up and get to work.

Damn, Sammy......hardcore.

Next ep - Cas needs help. And Claire is back.

No comments:

Post a Comment