Pages

Thursday, December 6, 2018

#Supernatural 14.8 - “Byzantium” live recap #spn

“Byzantium”

OUT OF THE DARKNESS – When Sam (Jared Padalecki) and Dean (Jensen Ackles) join forces with an unexpected ally, the outcome will alter the course of two lives. Meanwhile, Heaven faces an attack from a dark force, driving Castiel to make an enormous sacrifice to make things right. The episode was directed by Eduardo Sanchez and written by Meredith Glynn (#1408). Original Airdate 12/6/2018.

Episode 8:

Jack's bedside. In his room. Please don't be sad. Maybe this is how things are supposed to be. Dean argues. This isn't part of some damn plan. Jack coughing uncontrollably. Dean goes to the hall. 

Jack says Tell him it's okay. Sam says tell him yourself, he'll be back in a minute. Jack asks what happens next for someone like me? Sam doesn't know. Jack says then it's going to be an adventure. 

Cas goes to Dean. Dean says it's not right. It's not.... Fair? Cas knows that. But he needs you. Dean returns to the bedroom. Jack is still. Sam says he's gone. 

All 3 in the hall. Maybe we should think about next steps. Dean says wake and a bonfire, hunter style. It's what Jack would've wanted. Sam walks away. Dean says let him be. If he needs space, we'll give it to him. 

Dean calls Mary's phone. Hey, Mom, it's me. Sorry to lay this on your voice mail, but it's Jack. he got sick and he um, he died. This morning. it happened to fast. We thought we could fix it. Like always. Mom, I'm sorry. I know what he meant to you and all of us. Be nice to hear your voice. Just call us back. 

Sam packed up and is leaving. Cas sees him go out the door. Dean asks if he's seen Sam.

In the car. How could you let him leave? Cas says you said to give him space. Yeah, in the bunker, not like this. They find the Impala and Sam sitting on the ground. Tell me you didn't make a deal! Sam says no. Trying to build a pyre. He came out the chop a tree. Multiple trees. And broke the ax. I couldn't even...do that for him. Should've done more. Tried harder. The spells, the lore, what good is any of it if we couldn't save him. Cas says this doesn't feel right. Not how I thought Jack's story would end. Sam says none of us did. Cas says this doesn't feel natural. Jack taken before his time. Before me. Sam asks what do we do? Dean says say goodbye tomorrow. Tonight, we get loaded.

At the table drinking scotch. Music montage. They're sharing memories while it plays. And eat candy. Laughs and another empty bottle. Toasting. Sam calls it quits at one point. Dean asks Cas we did everything we could, right? As Cas leaves the room. Here's to you, Jack, wherever you are.

Jack eating a burger. Dean and Sam. And Cas. Skipper's Beach Cafe. Teaching Jack to read a map. But lights are flashing. Something's wrong. Jack leaves his Heaven room and out in the hall. Black goo comes for him, flooding the hall. He runs. 

**Dead isn't gone on this show. This ep will lead into next week's mid-season finale.

Dean snoring on the table. Wakes up. Voices outside. He tries to stand. 

Cas and Sam and Lily Sumner. She's very old now. Side effect of giving up magic. Sam called her. Dean remembers her killing angels for revenge for her daughter. Sam says after whiskey number 5, it hit me. We never looked at Kevin's angel translations. Lily thinks she might read them. Sam thinks maybe they can bring Jack home. She looks at the papers. Shh. She apologizes, she can't. But you can use my magic. Your Nephilim boy Jack, his body died without his grace. You can save him by using his soul. It won't cost much if he only uses his soul to sustain his body. Cas thinks they can get Jack back in the body. She says it won't take long for Jack to access her magic. She's willing to trade. I'm pretty certain I'm going to Hell. I don't expect angels to welcome me with open arms. So, if you want my help, get me into Heaven.

Dean is skeptical. Sam says I know how important the soul is, but if it'll save Jack.... Dean wonders how we get her to Heaven. Cas says Anubis weighs the heart. Osiris is Anubis' father. Heaven hired Anubis to keep souls moving. So they'll summon a god.

Little girl playing with her dog. Jack walks out of the trees with the dog to her. Who are you? I'm Jack. I'm your son. Kelly is suddenly an adult. Jack? It's you.... She hugs him. You were just a baby. He says I grew up. Do you know where you are? She says Roosevelt was hit by a car when I was in high school. He says you're in Heaven, your best memories. She remembers she died the day Jack was born. Why are you...? No.....no, no,no, baby, no. Castiel was supposed to take care of you. He says they did. But things didn't go as planned. She asks what's wrong?

Sam says Lilly will be done in a second. Writing instructions for Jack. Dean does NOT like this plan. Sam says this is what we do. Dean says it usually bites us in the ass. Sam says then what else? Dean says he doesn't trust Lily. Cas says Heaven is putting out a distress signal and all the doors are closed. All of them. The boys prepare the spell. Lily gives Sam the instructions. Sam leaves to get one more thing. Dean tries to be nice to her. She accepts his apology. He says something is bothering me. Why'd you stop using your magic? You're letting yourself get old. Die. Why? Why risk going to Hell if you don't have to. There's something you're not telling us. She swore to kill the angel that took her daughter. Even if it took her soul. But she has a sliver left. May is in Heaven. If there's still a piece of my soul.... Now do you understand?

Cas in Heaven. Searching. Two dead angels with black goo out of their eyes and noses.

Angel gasps awake. What happened? She doesn't know. That stuff, when it touched me, everything went black. He says he's looking for Jack. I have to find him. She begs him to not leave her. She gets up. They find the beach cafe and the car. Naomi says hello. Jack's gone. he left. Duma asks what's happening? She says we're under attack. The Shadow broke in. She's surprised he didn't recognize it. You're the only one of us who ever escaped. It wants the boy. It considers Jack its property. She wants to give it what it wants. Heaven will fall. What's one Nephilim boy against all that? You know, I'm right. Castiel. Help me. He says no. Then The Shadow is taking her over. She tells them to run.

Sam chanting. Lily cuts her hand and bleeds on the sigil. Anubis appears. Your files have come across my files many times. I'm stuck with the paperwork. Dean says touch work. Anubis asks what do you want? Lily says I need to know where I'm going when I die. Anubis says it's against protocol, but he's already here. With an abacus. She puts her hand over it and it weighs her. More black than white. He says I'm sorry. And he can't change it. Boys says you're not going anywhere. Change it. Anubis says I'm an accountant. I don't have that power. You all decide. Your choices. Tallied at the precise moment of your death. It won't change Lily's fate. But it might change yours. Sam releases him. Anubis disappears.Lily weeps.

Cas finds Jack. Jack wants Kelly to run. She refuses. Cas comes in. Hugs him. She says hello. They hug. I'm so sorry. I failed you. She says you didn't. You didn't. Jack is....he's wonderful. Jack asks what Cas is doing here? Cas says we found a way o bring you home. We need to use magic that draws on a small piece of your soul. The Empty has invaded Heaven because it wants you. We angels when we die go to an endless nothing. It won't stop until it finds you. But if you're alive, then it'll leave here. Duma says smart. But it's The Shadow.

Sam says I know you're upset, but if you could still do the spell. She says that wasn't the deal. I have to go. Dean says you're not even human anymore, not really, otherwise, how could you ever ever let anyone go through what you went through. The pain of losing a kid? Don't do this to us.

The Empty vs. Castiel. Start paying attention. I'm taking him. And where I'm taking you is worse than Hell. Oh God, you look scared. Does it hurt you? Good. Because I want it to. Cas tries to fight and it tosses him. 

Lily looks at the locket of her daughter. Then says she's ready.

Kelly tells it to stop and The Empty attacks her. Dean prays to Cas. 

Lily chants over Jack's body.

The Empty grabs Jack's throat. Cas says take me. Take me in his stead take me. I'm the one you want, who woke you up. It drops Jack. It says but you're already mine. Cas says not for years. But if you agree now I'll go now and willingly. She says deal. I meant what I said. I want you to suffer. Go back to your normal life and forget about this and me and when you're finally happy, that's when I'll come to drag you to nothing. Cas accepts. The Empty leaves Duma. She wakes. Where am I? Cas helps her up. Jack asks why did you do that? Cas says because I made a promise. because I love you, Jack. Sam and Dean are fighting for you at this very minute. They don't need to know what happened here, what I did. I'm at peace with my choice. I don't want them to worry. Jack promises to not tell them. Cas says then we should go. Jack and Kelly didn't get enough time. She says go. Have a great life. I'll be waiting. She hugs him. I love you so much. Cas asks Jack if he's ready. Puts hands on him. 

Jack back in his body. 

Sam tells Jack to read the spell. He struggles through it while coughing. Eyes glow a second. Was that my soul? Dean asks how do you feel? Jack says good. They hug him. Good to have you back. They thank Lily, but she's in a chair and still. 

Lily in Anubis' office. She doesn't understand. Why am I here? He asks her to try the abacus again. It's not mostly white. He says curious. Did you know what using the spell would cost you? Say hello to your daughter for me. 

Naomi greets Castiel. relax. I'm here to thank you. I know it wasn't for our benefit, but you saved us. He says you're welcome. She says that deserves a reward. Like Michael's location? We have an idea. You've been looking for him. 

Eating with Sam and Dean. Something wrong? Sam says no, not at all. They're glad to have him back. And we know where Michael is. Not sure how you pulled that off. Cas says we don't know where the spear or Dark Kaya is. Sam says we found her before. We will. Dean says Michael will pay. They toast and eat.

Next ep - mid-season finale. There's a war coming. Blood bath. Merry Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment