Pages

Thursday, April 11, 2019

#Supernatural 14.18 - "Absense" live blog #spn #spnfamily

“Absence”

THE STATE OF BEING AWAY– Sam (Jared Padalecki) and Dean (Jensen Ackles) continue to worry about the condition of Jack’s (Alexander Calvert) soul. The episode was directed by Nina Lopez-Corrado and written by Robert Berens. (#1418). Original Airdate 4/11/2019.

Image credit: The CW

Episode 18:

Mary?

Bunker. Sam and Dean return. Yo, Mom! Jack! Mom? Jack? They keep looking. Nothing. Probably out for a bite on their way back. You know how Mom is after a hunt. Dean feels they'd be up a creek without that kid. Dean tries calling Mom. Her phone is here on the table. They left in a hurry. Try Jack. 

Jack still seems out of it where he was last seen.

Sam on the phone. Dean, too. They both called everyone. Rowena has a spell that might track Jack down. Cas calls Dean. Dean updates Cas. Are they together? Alone? Yes, together alone. Cas sighs. I, um, I saw Jack. He did something. I went to check on him. Felix was sick. Jack used his powers. He killed the snake. A mercy? I was going to tell you..... I don't think Jack is well, Dean. Dean hangs up. Tells Sam. We have to find them. Sam has an idea. Jack is in Nepal! Now Lima, Peru. Now Paris, France. Now Madagascar. 

Jack lands in the dark outside the cabin on the ground. He seems weak. Takes out his phone. Missed calls. Jack replays memories of Mary. Nick? Guess again. Hello, son. No, that's not possible, you're-- Dead? It's not Nick or Lucifer. I'm you. Your subconscious. You whipped me up to help you figure this out. Jack doesn't want the help. It says you did. You won't get out of this pickle you're in. You can't. You killed Mary Winchester. You can't come back from that. We're back to the scene of the crime. Somewhere inside you realizes you know it. They argue until Jack makes it disappear. 

In the Impala. Cas will meet us there. Sam theorizes. He thinks Jack was being kind with the snake. I'm trying to understand Jack without a soul. Dean says we don't know he doesn't have a soul! Let's find Jack and Mom and figure it out. Signal lost. They arrive at the cabin. Still night. Dean looks around back. Sam inside. 

Sam calls for Jack. 

Dean shining the flashlight around outside. 

Mom? Sam looking around.

Dean looking around. 

Sam finds Nick's body. Dean! 

Dean finds ash on the ground. Sam finds him. The camera comes up, widening the shot. Is the ground burned? It's too dark because of night. There are white patches around like snow.

Cas sitting in the car. Memories of Mary. He offers to heal a wound. She says she's okay. He asks if she's afraid of him. Maybe a little. I haven't been back that long. Angel stuff is freaky and new. We should get back. Boys will be waiting. Into the truck. Cas says Sam and Dean are glad to have you back. Whatever you have to deal with, they're happy. They don't have to be so alone. She says they were never alone. 

He gets out of the car. Walks to the cabin. 

Sam covers Nick's body. Dean thinks he probably deserved it. Sam is disturbed. Cas enters. No sign of Jack or Mom. There's a blast site behind the house. Looks angelic but bigger. Dean says if she's......you're dead to me. He knew something was wrong with the kid and he didn't tell us! Cas was scared. I believed in Jack for so long. Believed he was good. Good for the world. Good for us. My faith in him never wavered and then I saw what he did. He saw a problem and he solved it with that snake. It wasn't bad. It was the absence of good. I thought I could fix it on my own. If I could go back and talk to him right then and there I would. I failed you and I failed Jack. And I failed.... Dean says don't even say her name! Rowena calls Sam. She scried for Jack. But his energy is too unstable. And Mom? She doesn't know. But she can say with certainty Mary Winchester is no longer on this Earth. Dean throws some stuff. Sam asks what do we do? Dean says what we always do. We fight. We fight to bring them back. How? Billy? Rowena. She's resurrected herself more times than we can count. Dean tell Cas to go to Heaven and find Mary. Tell Rowena we're on our way.

Knock on her door. That was fast. She sighs. Opens the door and it's Jack. 

Are you well? Sam and Dean are looking for you, I could call them. No! I need magic! Why? I killed Mary. It was an accident. I didn't mean to. I wanted her quiet, wanted her gone, just for a second....and I thought it. All happened so fast. I need to undo it. You need to help me undo it. She says the magic she's used on herself, they only work as failsafes. They have to be prepared in advance. He asks what about the book? She says there is a spell. Agnes was a prisoner for years. Obsessed with curses. Death the ultimate curse. She developed a spell to bring her friends back. The spell needs enormous power. Nothing you wouldn't have handy in the bunker. Dean bangs on the door. Sam and Dean break in right after Jack and Rowena disappear.

Cas at the playground. Some snow still. He's calling at the door to Heaven. Naomi. 

Jack brought Rowena to the bunker. 

Knife throwing lesson. Mary and Jack. He keeps dropping the knife on floor. You're doing great. it's not easy. He thinks Dean will kill him for the holes in the floor. She slides the table to hide them. Jack leaves the room. Sam asks about Jack. I've been so busy looking for Dean. Jack's been through a lot and I haven't been there for him. Sorry, Mom, I don't mean to lay this on you. She's happy she's not the only one with parental guilt. Parenting is always a struggle. You always feel like you're failing. But they're amazing. The bravest, kindest, most heroic men on the planet. Kids. Always surprise you. 

Dean ranting. I don't know where to go. Cas....should've told us. Sam says it wasn't just Cas. We always knew Jack was dangerous. From the very beginning you knew. He had a good heart, a good soul. I brought him back. He didn't make that choice. He'd become our family. After Maggie and the hunters....died, I just left. Just dumped Jack on Cas and left. I knew something....was gonna....I just didn't know it'd be this. Dean says I did it, too. When I talked to Donatello about Jack. He talked about how powerful Jack was and couldn't be sure. it was a warning. I just couldn't see it. 

Jack is impatient. Rowena says the ingredients need to be compounded precisely. I could've fought you. But I didn't because you want the same thing the boys want, what I want. Jack seeing Nick/Lucifer again. It pushes Jack to admit he feels nothing anymore. She asks Jack if he's okay. He says keep working. It tells Jack that this torment is a reflex. Give up this fantasy and the phantom pain will go away. You know it's not going to work. He lashes at the vision and it disappears. Rowena is done. We have everything but the last thing. Mary's body. 

Cas trying to get Naomi to talk to him. The door finally glows. Duma appears. It's none of your business. Why are you here? He's looking for Mary Winchester. She says she's at peace. She died painlessly. Instantly. She's in a special heaven. Mary Winchester is complete. You and the Winchesters may not be. But she is. 

Jack brought Rowena to the place. She asks where's the body, Jack? He says you make it work! She says it won't. It can't. He says I'll do it myself. She says you're in no disposition. You're spinning. Whatever you bring back, it won't be her. Then help me! She won't. 

He sends her flying home. Sliding into her desk. She picks up her phone and calls Sam. I'm back. Jack is using magic to try to bring your mum back. There's no body. He's desperate. Confused, angry. You have to stop him. Necromancy is a delicate art. In his state, your boy will bring something back that's terrible. 

It's a field of ash. Jack starts the spell, chanting around the bowl. It glows purple. There's a portal in the sky. It's purple with gray and black. Swirling. 

Impala on the dirt road. 

Jack keeps chanting the spell. Impala arrives. And Jack stops the engine. Jack keeps chanting at the portal. Boys get out of the car and run to Jack. Lightning from the portal and it disappears. Boys arrive. Jack's distraught. "It didn't work." Jack disappears. Mary's body is on the ground. Dean goes to her, cradles her. Sam kneels with him. 

Dean's memory of driving with Mom asleep on his shoulder. 

Boys holding and grieving her body. 

Jack sitting alone. The Nick/Lucifer vision appears. No going back now. Sam, Cas, Dean, they'll never trust you again. You know what that means. What? You can never trust them.

Sam looking at photos. Cas comes in. She's in Heaven. And she's at peace. Dean hears. Sam nods. Duma told him. Dean says you'll take her word for it? No. She let me in. 

Cas in Heaven. He saw Mary and she's happy. She's with John and there's just joy. 

Sam talked to Rowena. She thinks Jack just brought back a shell, a body. A replica incapable of holding life. So what do we do now? Dean says what we always do. 

Hunter funeral. 

Montage of Mary shots. Sad music. 

Sam burns a photo of her. And stops Cas from going to Dean. Dean stands apart. 

The initials carved on the table. 

**Where is Alt World Bobby? He and Mary had a thing, so.... And I don't think he needed MONTHS to deal with his feelings about his son. Why are they not using Jim?

Next ep - Bobby is back. Dean wants to stop Jack. But we both have to sign off on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment