Pages

Tuesday, December 3, 2019

#Arrow 8.7 - "Purgatory" live blog #arrowverse #arrowfinalseason #crisisoninfiniteearths

"Purgatory"

BYRON MANN GUEST STARS – Oliver’s (Stephen Amell) mission takes him to Lian Yu where he tries to ignore the repercussions of the looming Crisis until he receives help from an old friend. Meanwhile, a united Team Arrow faces a recognizable villain. James Bamford directed the episode written by Rebecca Bellotto & Rebecca Rosenberg (#807). Original airdate 12/3/2019.


Image credit: The CW

Episode 7:

Lian Yu, Mandarin for Purgatory. The memories, the pain, I've never escaped them. A reminder of what I had to endure. With only one goal - survive. Oliver has to return to where his journey began - Purgatory.

How'd the kids get here? Guys in tac gear. Lyla apologizes. We have to build a weapon and it has to be built on this island. Oliver tells John that The Monitor is not our enemy. Lyla says it's the truth. the materials are here. Dr. Wong has been working on it. The device is powered by plutonium. All of our missions were part of this. Oliver asks what am I doing back on Lian Yu. Why is it green? Heh. Lyla says there have been energy spikes. The weapon is how we survive Crisis. Mia has questions. Oliver asks for a moment with the kids. There's no easy way to say this. I don't survive Crisis. I've been fighting my fate, but I can't fight it, I can't change it. I'm trying to keep the two of you safe. build the weapon, finish this mission, and that's the way it has to be. Mia is angry again.

John confronts Lyla. She says The Monitor made it clear silence was necessary. We couldn't interfere with the other players. Remember the IED that took out my unit in Afghanistan. The Monitor rescued me that day for a greater purpose. She didn't believe at first. But he came to her again. He showed me us. Our future. Wiped away as if it never existed. So we worked together to find heroes strong enough to fight this Crisis. John is not okay with all this.

Dinah flying the plane. Rene and Roy with her. Lian Yu is ahead. Roy thinks it's beautiful. Dinah is 5 miles south and inbound to land. She sees something. Static on radio. Something's incoming! The group rushes out of the tent. Missile launch! The plane gets hit. John says they're not going to make it.

Lyla had ARGUS sweep the island. They thought they were alone. The plutonium landed separate of the rest. Team goes to rescue the team. Mia wants to stay in the tent. Oliver says someone needs to protect William.

Oliver and Laurel looking for the plutonium. She's not a fan of this island. Oliver says it has that effect on people. He's glad she's here. She says this Kodak moment should be with Mia. Don't be an idiot. She wants to live up to her father. He wants to complete this mission so his kids have a world to live in. She says don't leave this island with more regrets than you already have buried here.

William and Mia. He's building the weapon. He needs a wire stripper. He asks if she's still mad at Dad. She says it's his life. He can do whatever he wants with it. Always has. He's always been a hero first and a dad second. We never should've trusted him.

Lyla and Connor and John. Connor says most of his milestones got interrupted by some international emergency or another. Lyla and John cofounded Night Watch. John thinks The Monitor is evil. Dinah brings Rene over. He's hurt. Lyla will take him back to patch him up. Roy is missing.

Oliver found the plutonium. But Laurel is held. Fyers is back! You're dead. Not anymore. He's got mercs. Tells Oliver to drop his weapon. Oliver fires at them. Laurel frees herself. Oliver tells her about Fyers and Wintergreen. He wants to go after Fyers. He's my responsibility. Laurel takes the plutonium.

Yao Fei fires an arrow at Oliver.

**Oliver, Fyers coming back from the dead isn't your responsibility. It's like you have ADD! Always distracted from the main objective and real problems. Fyers is only a problem if his men rush the tent and prevent the weapon being built for Crisis.

Are you real? As real as the men you hunt. Yao Fei shot at him to keep him from danger. There are forces at play who don't want you to succeed. Do not be distracted from the end. Last time you dealt with them did not end well. Oliver says he's not that person anymore.

They find Roy. He's not good. He can't feel his arm. They have to get him out before this blows. His arm is crushed under landing gear. Connor says the best way to get him out might be amputation. John says we move this off of him and we save his arm. Find a lever to get this off him. Roy, hang tight, we'll be right back.

Laurel finds Dinah. Tells Dinah about Oliver's island enemies. He went after them. Let's go.

Trying to free Roy. It's not working yet. Laurel says we're about to have company. John refuses to give up on saving Roy's arm. Roy says do it, cut it off. Better my arm than our lives. Connor gets the med kit. Gunfire nearby. John ties the tourniquet. Connor hacks the arm off with a sword. Roy screams.

Yao Fei and Oliver. Sorry I couldn't save Shado. They walk into a trap, caught up in nets. Good job. Oliver.

**Well, so much for Roy being an archer. Prosthesis are not good enough right now for him to fight like he could before.

Fyers knew you'd come here. We need to get out. How? Use your bow? It's pinned. Oliver tries cutting free.

They bring Roy back to the tent. Mia thinks they have to go after Oliver. Adults tell her otherwise. So she rushes off on her own. William argues with her outside. God, she's a pain in the ass. Nyssa wouldn't have put up with any of this attitude. William keeps pushing her to see reason. He tells her Dad can cheat death more than anyone. If this really is the end, I don't want to waste time being angry. Do you?

Yao Fei says you're still the impatient young man I rescued. LOL. Oliver bickers. Yao says you're avoiding your family because you're afraid to die. Oliver says what am I supposed to say to my kids? Yao says you say goodbye. Oliver says I don't think I can. They spent their life without me. Now they'll do it again. Yao says survive is about what lives beyond you. Oliver keeps working on the net. Yao says patience. They drop free.

John checks on Roy. I've been better. John is so sorry. Roy says this isn't your fault. John says you're wrong. I came to find you. I can't protect the people I care about. Roy says this team has each other's backs no matter the cost. I'd rather be here with you than living alone. Heroes make sacrifices, John. For better or worse, this had to be mine. Lyla comes in. John, we have a problem.

Rene says Fyers' men have surrounded the camp. William says we can't move. He's tapped into the island's energy for the weapon. Oliver returns to the bunker. Sorry I took off. Laurel asks how they fight ghosts? Oliver says Power up the device. Suck up the energy. Activating the device will destroy the ghosts. Lyla says we need to take the risk. Oliver agrees this is our best shot. Suit up.

**Still wish we could see Slade again this season. He was there for Oliver's beginning. He should be here for the end.

Green Arrow approaches Fyers. Surrender! I killed you, Fyers. The team comes out and lines up with Oliver.

William and Lyla and Roy. The weapon doesn't turn on. Why?

Fyers tells his men to kill them.

William, we're running out of time. The device can only turn on with a specific DNA code. Lyla tells Oliver to come back and turn on the device.

Team Arrow fighting the mercs. Explosions and gunfire everywhere. Oliver watches Yao Fei. John gets him.

Oliver returns to the bunker. Picks up the sphere. That was anti-climactic. Oliver's DNA doesn't match. But Lyla's does.

Rene says this isn't going well. Dinah says we have to buy time. Laurel hates this island.

Is Lyla the weapon? Johnny....

Slow motion battle.

Lyla takes the sphere. It powers up. Glows and flashes.

Team outside is alone. Ghosts all gone.

Lyla? Are you alright? She has to go. Walks to a portal. Glances at John, then walks into it.

**Very odd for a plane to come apart and Roy land alive but with landing gear on his arm. Of all things? How? This show never does go well with physics.

Packing up. Oliver talked to ARGUS. Rescue boat should be here any minute. Connor asks if she knew? John says no, she was just as surprised as the rest of us. Mia asks how much time do we have before Crisis? Not long. John says finish packing. Roy says no more island vacations. Oliver thanks them all for being there for him no matter what. Dinah and Rene don't accept goodbye. It ain't over til it's over.

Oliver finds Roy. I don't know what to say. I'm really happy you're back with the team and really sorry. ARGUS doctor will help him. William gives Roy the arrowhead stone. Roy says he doesn't need it. It should stay in the family. William offers it to Oliver. No, keep it. William, you're a hero. It means a lot to me to see the kind of man you've become. I hope you'll forgive me for lots of things. William says I already have. I understand what it means to fight for something bigger than yourself. I'm proud of you, Dad. They hug.

John thinking about where Lyla went. Oliver says I'm always asking you for favors. I need those kids back in 2040. John agrees. Oliver says when this is over, tell Felicity I don't want Mia and William separated. They deserve to grow up together. John agrees. A soldier never lets a brother go into battle alone. I felt like I'd be failing you. Oliver says you could never fail me, John. John will stick by him as long as he can. They wish this mission didn't have an ending. Oliver says you've always been my rock. The best man you've ever known.  John says we don't want to keep the boat waiting.

Oliver has one more thing to do. The graves. Mia finds him. She says my whole life, I heard stories about you. I should've been proud of you. You're a hero and all I could see was that it was the reason you weren't with me. Kinda hard to let that go. Oliver says we just wanted to protect you. She understands that now. Oliver hated Lian Yu, It made me so angry. this island taught me to survive. Turned me into somebody better than I was before. Despite my feelings, there are no stories to tell without Lian Yu. She thanks him for letting her be a part of his story, at least for a little while. So what now? We need to get back home and prepare for whatever's next. The sky goes red. Lyla Harbinger arrives. Crisis has begun.

Nash Wells has traveled across worlds to kill The Monitor. Now you save my life. Submit and begin your life anew. Show me. The knowledge is ahead. Nash keys in the code. Door opens and he's sucked in. Door shuts.

Next ep - Crisis on Infinite Earths. Starting next Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment