Pages

Wednesday, August 31, 2022

#Stargirl 3.1 - “Frenemies, Chapter One: The Murder” live blog recap

“Frenemies, Chapter One: The Murder”
STARMAN IS BACK — With Starman (Joel McHale) back from the dead and her former super-villain enemies vowing to reform, Courtney (Brec Bassinger) is hopeful that there will finally be peace in Blue Valley. But when The Gambler (guest star Eric Goins) arrives in town looking to make his own amends, the team finds themselves at odds over whether he can be trusted. Luke Wilson, Amy Smart, Yvette Monreal, Anjelika Washington, Cameron Gellman, Trae Romano, Meg DeLacy, Neil Hopkins, Joy Osmanski, and Alkoya Brunson also star. Andi Armaganian directed the episode written by Geoff Johns (#301). Original airdate 8/31/2022.

Interview with Brec about Season 3.

 











Photo credit: The CW
 

Episode 1:

Settle in as we're about to begin a tale of Trust. A tale of Horror. And a tale of....murder.

Blue Valley, Nebraska. Small town USA. We're comin' to America.....today!

Paper boy delivering.

Beth's parents wake her up.

Rick's in the woods with a shovel.

Yolanda also gets the text from Courtney. She sees Cindy in town and diverts.

Cindy offers to help an elderly woman carry groceries.

Crushers taking their morning jog.

Courtney's house.

The Gambler returns home.

Neil Diamond forever.

Chapter One - The Murder.

Papers about weird things. Cleaning the kitchen. Pat and the family return to the house. Sylvester welcomes them. Greets the dog. How was the trip? Pat's got a beard now. Mike teases him. The kitchen is fixed. Barb says this marble looks expensive. Pat says we had it on the list to do. What list?

Courtney goes down to the basement. Also cleaned up. Cosmo's crate is in the garage. Sylvester made a display case by his bed. Cosmo shoots into it. Courtney's pouty. Sylvester says the staff is why I'm not dead now. Did I mention I woke up in my own coffin? It's hard to keep your cool when you're buried alive. I did a lot of screaming. When I dug myself out, I was somehow completely fine. I think your bond woke my bond with him, too. She says if you're reconsidering..... He says the staff chose you. I'm done being Starman.

Courtney and Pat on the porch. She says he put a lot of hard work into building that display case and then he talked about the bond he had with the staff. Pat tells her Sylvester can teach her how to be a better Stargirl. Neighbors say hi. Tell Barbara we have to get together for coffee! Pat locks the door. Courtney unlocks it. He doesn't trust the Crocks. Be very careful. She wants to help the bad guys break good. No matter what evil comes our way next, if we're all on the same side, we'll be unstoppable. Doorbell. Gambler says he's here to make amends. And I brought your mail.

He came straight to them to reassure them his intentions are good. Pat says you're not afforded the same courtesy. Courtney says everyone else helped us save Blue Valley. Gambler heard about the black diamond mess. From who? Whom. Gambler found out he has a daughter Becky that was given up for adoption. He wants to find her. He knows he's not a role model. But he wants to apologize to the people he's wronged and become a productive member of the community so he might one day be worthy of a relationship with his daughter. His father abandoned him and it put him on a bad path. He wants her to know he loves her.

They're being watched on a camera! Black and white fuzzy view inside the house.

Loud noise in the house. 5:30AM juicing. Pat says Crusher is trespassing. Made him a smoothie. Asks what The Gambler was doing here yesterday. Don't trust him. He's only in this life for the money. Courtney comes in. Juicer's on us. First one's free. He leaves. Gotta start locking the doors! right?

Diner. Shade is not enamored with the tea. His face! Tells the waitress it's not quite right. But I do appreciate the effort. His face! The Gambler arrives. Good morning, Mr. Swift. Do you mind if I sit? I do very much. He sits anyway. Swift asks what do you want? Gambler gives the pitch like he told Courtney and Pat. He's not buying what The Gambler is selling. Leave. Before they figure out what you're really up to. Or I do. His eyes go black. Go.... Gambler stands to leave. I do hope you find a good cup of tea. Hurries out. Swift touches his eye, then has black smoke on his finger. He's surprised.

Yolanda tells Courtney to not trust all the evils. If her parents catch her sneaking out again, they'll ship her to boarding school. Beth's parents are driving her nuts through goggle communication. Shouldn't have given them this number. Made her breakfast and lunch. Rick arrives. No luck with Grundy. I've buried him everywhere the Shade has told me to. But nothing ever happens. Cindy pulls up. Welcome back to school, JSA. Courtney says hi. Courtney starts by talking about teamwork. She made notes. Asks them to look beyond the past with Cindy. Rick and Yolanda voted no. Cindy asks about Starman. Courtney says it's great. We all thought he was dead. how lucky are we? Sylvester's going to show me how to use the staff. Artemis says go team! on the way by. Rick and Yolanda aren't pleased. Yolanda bails.

**Yolanda left completely untouched food. Drink bottle not even opened. Take lunch with you!

Starman loves the robot. The JSA would be begging Pat to sit at the table. Show me what it can do. I want to see this sucker fly. I'm dying to for old time's sake. He'll grab the staff so he can keep up. Thanks for giving me a place to stay and making me feel welcome. Seeing you happy makes me feel happy, too. Pat thanks him.

Barb's office. Paula visits. i need to talk to you about my daughter. Artemis has a history with Courtney and her friends, but she desperately wants to join the JSA. I just hope Courtney doesn't hold grudges. That'd be a real shame. Potentially with real consequences. Barb says it's up to them. Paula says Artemis will prove herself if she has to. Just watch.

Trailer. Gambler's place. Baby photo stuck to a lamp. Rebecca Sharpe. Where are you, Becky? There's a little pistol in his suitcase. Speeding car outside. He looks. But there are just other trailers. Back inside. He drops the gun in the trash.

Sylvester flying with STRIPE. Race ya.

**There's definitely a vibe of something not right......or someone lying.

Night at the house. Pat and Sylvester return excited. The rest of the family stares. You told Courtney you weren't going to be Starman anymore. Courtney tries to be gracious. Sylvester offers the staff to her. Sorry for causing trouble. Not my intention to be anything but helpful. Pat says he means it because he never apologizes. Courtney is glad they had fun. He's going to start on dinner. Everyone's hungry.

She goes down to the basement to find Starman. Are you okay? I lied to you. I did come back for the staff. She thought so. When he came back to life, he realized he didn't have a life to come back to. Sister died. Parents gone. All I ever had was Starman. So......I don't know what I'd do without it. She lets the staff hover. He says no. I thought Pat was holding the staff and that was that. Then I saw it chose you. You're the future. Not me. I know that. But....I can train you. Show you pretty great tricks. After that, I don't know. She says the staff still works for you. I think it means something. So....what if we made an arrangement. When I'm at school, the staff is yours. Like a tag team. Look out world, Starman is back! Pretty cool, right? Yeah.....okay. Wow. Starman's back... Beth calls. There's trouble.

No Limit Gang. 5 guy in dollar sign masks. Artemis rushes in at them before the JSA can attack. They watch her take them all out. How's that for a try out! Cindy's grinning.

Gambler looks at the baby photo again. Starts writing to Becky. To apologize for years lost. I wish I could offer more of an explanation for my past errant ways.

Cindy doesn't like the garage. We could meet at my house where there's comfortable chairs and wine. We don't drink. Beth says the No Limit Gang worked for the Gambler back in the day. Rick thinks it's no coincidence. Beth's analysis will be done in an hour. Cindy thinks it's boring and bails. Yolanda and Rick want to go after The Gambler. This experiment where we hang out with supervillains is over.

Pat brings a beer to Sylvester on the porch. Starman is impressed by Courtney. Getting you and I back in the game? Pat says you have to make the most of a second chance. Starman doesn't extend that to the villains. They're predators. Even so....to second chances. They toast. If I'm really back, that means you're officially my sidekick again. Pat says I'm STRIPE now.

Gambler gets to the end of the sheet of paper. Signs it Love Dad. Addresses her on an envelope. Computer lights up. But he's been hacked. Security feeds all over! He's confused. Then sees his trailer is being watched, too. He gets up and creeps to his door. Grabs the pistol from the trashcan. Opens the door. Video shows him look at the camera. He reaches or it. Then there's a roar!

JSA in the trailer park. Courtney says they'll give The Gambler an attempt to explain. Why? Because he's trying to be better for his daughter. The Gambler of all people is a better dad than mine ever was. Gunshot They run toward the sound. Cindy stands up. Holds the gun. Gambler is down and the trailer is wrecked. I didn't do it!

Next week - Courtney training. Find the laptop. Find the killer. Shade and Starman at odds.


No comments:

Post a Comment