Pages

Wednesday, June 13, 2018

#TheOriginals 5.8 - “The Kindness of Strangers” live blog #vampires

“The Kindness of Strangers”

CHAMBRE DE CHASSE — As pressing matters rage on in New Orleans, the Mikaelson siblings find themselves forced to set aside their differences and work together to escape a “chambre de chasse.” Joseph Morgan, Daniel Gillies, Charles Michael Davis, Riley Voelkel, and Danielle Rose Russell also star. Kellie Cyrus directed the episode written by Beau DeMayo & Carina Adly MacKenzie (508). Original airdate 6/13/2018.

A Chambre de Chasse is a magically constructed location that exists on the astral plane represented by a specific mindscape usually depicted as a room. They are created with representational magic using representational totems to draw and anchor the minds of others. Where in the destruction of said totem is destroyed, the person can leave the Chambre de Chasse. The Chambre de Chasse is a localized "pocket dimension" on the astral plane represented by one's mind created with representational magic. Witches have been known to use it as prisons to hold people's minds, and, according to Kol, to have 'mental target practice'. Although, witches such as the Sisters and Freya have been seen to use such methods for recreation.

Episode 8:

In New Orleans, bodies cannot be buried. In boxes above the ground, bodies cramped together. When a family member dies, they shove aside the bones to lay the new body on top. Houses, too. Layer upon layer of paint, hiding little tragedies. A fire. A flood. These are the tombs of the living, where we rot alongside memories of the dead. Forced to struggle with those we love.

Elijah landed in the wine cellar. Klaus says you sorted it by vintage. You still don't remember. Elijah says no. Klaus tells him about the chambre de chasse. Elijah asks how they get out. Klaus says we're square. I'm going to find my way out and you're on your own.

He heads downstairs. The bloody and torn paintings. Who's there? Show yourself! Rebekah. Nik, always so dramatic. Kol arrives and he's naked? Rebekah was in Corsica. When she suddenly dropped here. Kol was waiting for his wife to come home from work. Asks if Nik pissed off witches lately. Freya arrives. A witch that would risk everything to save New Orleans from plagues. Vincent. He'll be shipping your bodies to the 4 corners of the globe. Elijah thinks he found a way out. What is this? Kol says representational magic. Keys hidden somewhere meaningful to who we are. Freya says the only way out is together. Kol suggests Elijah go to the corner of the house furthest from Nik. Klaus tells the girls I promised my daughter I wouldn't leave her. I can't be stuck here.

Kol shows mementos to Elijah. Elijah says you didn't visit me in France. Kol says you and Freya more or less murdered my wife. Suggests the journals to jog Elijah's memories. Elijah asks if he ever apologized for what he did. Kol says in your way. What matters is I got her back. Not everyone is so lucky.

15 years ago. Hayley and Klaus arriving at the compound. He points out the crest. She says I can be your hostage or we can be better than that for our child. Make her feel safe. He'll have someone clean up. Take Kol's room. It has a fireplace. She wants to believe the baby means something to him, believe in him. Don't let us down. She was heavily pregnant.

Klaus destroys the crest. Rebekah and Freya still in the courtyard. Marcel arrives! He's bloody. I have to go back, the city is floating away. Klaus asks what game is Vincent playing? Marcel says She's out of her damn mind. Klaus asks who is responsible for this? Marcel says it's Hope. Hope is responsible for all of this.

Ivy was telling them about the prophecy when a hurricane showed up from nowhere. The final curse before firstborns die. Hope was at St. Anne's. She's gathering all the bodies to take back the power separating you. You have to find the keys. Klaus says she has help, I created hybrids with her blood. They'll serve her.

Elijah asks his relationship to Hope. Klaus says the day she was born, you gave her this. A bunny.

15 years ago. Picking a name for Hope. Hayley says I've never felt a love like this. It might kill me. Klaus says it nearly did. Sorry the beginning of her life was so violent. He says when Elijah thought you were dead, he said we'd lost our family's only hope. She says Hope. Hope Mikaelson. He says Hope Andrea Mikaelson.

You gave her her name. Klaus rips the bunny apart.

Marcel finds Kol going through books. Shakespeare. He asks Kol about Davina. She doesn't call much these days. Kol says that's how families work these days. He finds a key taped in a book. 4 more to go. Marcel asks why would the book of plays be in the music room? This room doesn't exist anymore. It was destroyed in a flood. Hope's never seen this room.

Rebekah and Freya. There's a partially completed drawing of Hayley in a different room. Doesn't feel real, yet. Rebekah was jealous. When I met her. Having a child. When she got married. Even jealous of Hayley's dying. Kol says that's morbid. He asks Freya about the room that's missing. I brought you there during the 1914 Christmas Party. Marcel played Carol of the Bells. Klaus stabbed me with the dagger. Klaus asks Freya what have you done?

**I KNEW IT. I knew Freya constructed this. Hope has the power, but not the experience or knowledge to toss everyone in the chambre de chasse. Freya could do it with ease.

Freya says Hope asked for my help. Something needed to be done. KLaus says I was leaving New Orleans when you struck me down. He pokes her about Keelin. She says I've sacrificed everything for you and Hope. She doesn't need your protection right now. While you were gone I was here with Hayley. The one time Hope acted out is because she missed her dad. We have to let her make her own choices. Her childhood ended when she lost her mother. We've all done dangerous things for family and seen each other through it. Now it's her turn. He says Freya, you have to stop her. No. Freya disappears.

Rebekah was avoiding Marcel. He asks why Kol can be happy with someone but she can't. She wants this conversation to wait. Marcel remembers this room used to be Rebekah's. He wrote her letters. They were hidden where Klaus wouldn't find them. He used to think he could choose when to love her. But that doesn't work anymore. I love you, Rebekah. Always will. At least tell me why you left me alone in City Hall. She's afraid. He says he can't die on her. She says there are far worst ways I could destroy you. He knows. She's doing a good job of it now.

Klaus searching. 4 years ago. Hayley on video chat with Klaus. Hope's birthday. He sent a bike. He doesn't want her to know he sent it. Hayley can't fix this not speaking thing if he doesn't tell her why. He says we no longer have to have these chats. I trust you with her. You're doing a fine job. You're not a Mikaelson. Take the win for God's sake. She says I'm not giving up on you, Klaus.

Marcel finds Elijah. Elijah searching the music room. Where he taught Marcel to play piano. Or welcoming me from the war in the courtyard. Or exiling me from the city. Or ripping my heart out. Elijah says what are you suggesting here, Marcellus? Click. So you do remember something.

Klaus is burning letters. Marcel says you're all the same. You burning your guilt. Rebekah pushing me away. Elijah lying about his memories. He called me Marcellus. Things are creeping in, only nothing of substance. He doesn't want to remember. Klaus finds a key. Now Elijah will have to remember if he wants to save his girlfriend's life.

Marcel looks for another key. Goes through a door.

Elijah downstairs. Klaus attacks him. You've been lying all day! Elijah says he remembers nothing. I was born on a bus stop 7 years ago. Klaus accuses him of repressing his memories. The siblings in the courtyard. Elijah is insistent on getting back to Antoinette. I'm begging you. Help me. Klaus asks what he saw? Long white corridor with a white door. Kol says that's where you hide what you don't want to remember. Elijah says he's burned in sunlight and the pain from that door was like nothing he's ever felt. Klaus pushes about Hayley's death. You doomed the woman you love to a death of fire and pain. Elijah says he loves Antoinette. Rebekah argues. You loved her! Elijah says did I really? Are you sure those feelings weren't about saving you? That pathetic entanglement of Always and Forever. Rebekah says the storm is intensifying. Klaus says they're wasting time hashing out 10 centuries of issues. Rebekah says you never broke up Hayley and Elijah because as long as she stayed, you got to see Hope, and as long as Hayley was here, you kept Elijah close. Klaus says Elijah was always there for me. 1000 years, he never gave up. My brother was my greatest ally. The only one to give me a chance of being worthy of Hope. He was my best friend. And you killed him. I hate you for that. They're in sudden pain. Hope is taking the power from them. There's no stopping it. They all collapse.

Marcel finds a coffin. Opens it. Snakes. Great..... Rolls up his sleeve and digs in. Key.

Rebekah wakes. Marcel says he got Elijah's key. Kol's key was in As You Like It. Hope put the key on the necklace. Klaus's letter to Hayley. And Hope sees Elijah as death. Your key was in the coffin in the dungeon. Klaus says let's be done with my daughter's maze of metaphors. Open all the locks. Door opens. They walk through. Into the white corridor. Kol says now we're in Elijah's mental maze. Of all the tortures I've had to endure. Elijah says this is Hope's revenge. Kol has somewhere else to be. He leaves through a door and wakes. Marcel does, too. They're in the church.

Elijah pulls on the red door. Rebekah tells Klaus not to leave him here. Nik says that's not my brother anymore. Rebekah says we're capable of terrible things, but also capable of forgiveness. He yells at Elijah it's just a door, open it! Tells her go. We'll be right behind you, both of us.

Klaus says you killed my brother when Hayley died. She believed in something better for all of us and fought for it when we couldn't. Come on. You can't open that door alone. You need me. They run at it together.

Elijah flashes through everything. Memories of Hayley through the years. Including her saying his name at the end. He sits up. Another flash of Greta holding her at the wall. Klaus stares at him. Elijah stands. Crying. He sees Hayley take Greta outside, burning, and weeps. Collapses on a pew. Marcel averts his eyes. Elijah sobs his grief. Screams it. Rebekah cries watching him. Klaus accepts that Elijah is back now.

Klaus sits with Elijah. Offers the blood for Antoinette. If what you desire is let go of your past and build a future with her, then you should go to her. Klaus gets up to leave. Elijah stops him. Nicklaus. They exchange a look and Klaus leaves.

Rebekah and Marcel overseeing the city. New Orleans always triumphs. Rebekah wants a life of context. Die a brittle old lady with spots on my hands and clouds in my eyes. He says you get so much more than that. We get to watch it all together. Isn't it worth it? She says you chose being a vampire. But I didn't have a choice. I'm cursed. And I'm angry. I don't want you to promise to be by my side while I fester. I love you, Marcel. I won't let my sadness destroy you. She kisses him. Then leaves.

Elijah finds Antoinette. She's delirious. He says I'm here. Drink. She takes in the vial. Smiles at him. Heals. Thought I'd lost you. She smiles at him. He slips out of her hold and walks away. She says Elijah. He turns to her. Forgive me. He leaves.

Freya. Klaus says I need the room. She says Hope is fine. He looked in on her. She's comatose. Freya says she's asleep. Deserves the rest. You should be proud of her. Klaus says I said I need the room. She leaves. He goes to a small chest on a shelf. The letters. All the letters Hayley wrote. He sits and stares at it.

Elijah puts on his suit.

Klaus picks up a letter. All of them had been returned unopened.

Elijah puts on his ring, buttons his coat.

Klaus opens the letter.

Hayley's tree.

The letter holds a Hope photo and a page.

Elijah at the water in the bayou.

Klaus finishes reading the page. He's teary.

Elijah stares at the water and setting sun.

Next ep - Hope can't think, can't sleep, not ready to forgive Elijah. They meet. She says I hate you. He says I hate me, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment